Laws Pertaining to Sexting in the State of Michigan
Michigan does not currently have a statute that specifically addresses sexting. Therefore, in the State of Michigan anyone who creates, distributes or possesses an image of a minor engaged in a sexually explicit conduct may be prosecuted under the State’s child pornography laws and, if convicted, will generally serve time in prison and will be required to register as a sex offender.
The State of Michigan has not created a separate statute to address sexting crimes. Therefore, a minor who is caught with a sexually explicit image of another minor on their phone could be charged with a felony under the State’s child pornography statutes. Furthermore, if a minor is convicted he/she could serve time in prison as well as will be required to register as a sex offender.
Law and Punishment
In general, under Michigan law it is illegal to:
- Persuade, induce, entice, coerce, cause or knowingly allow a minor to engage in a sexually explicit activity.
- If convicted under this provision, an individual could face up to 20 years in jail or a fine of up to $100,000.
- Distribute, promote or finance the distribution of an image of a minor engaged in a sexually explicit activity.
- If convicted under this provision, an individual could face up to 7 years in jail, or a fine up to $50,000.
- Knowingly possess an image of a minor engaged in a sexually explicit activity.
- If convicted under this provision, an individual could face up to 4 years in jail or a fine of up to $10,000.
Register as a sex offender.
4 to 20 years in jail.
Up to $100,000 in fines.
Latest News Concerning Sexting in Michigan
WZZM 13 ABC | May 22, 2012
CBS 62 Detroit | March 20, 2012
ClickonDetroit.com | March 16, 2012
WSJM | March 6, 2012
Niles Star | February 1, 2012
Kalamazoo Gazette | January 31, 2012
WWMT | January 25, 2012
ABC 57 | December 12, 2011
WWMT | October 25, 2011
Daily Mail | September 17, 2011
Upper Michigan Source | May 18, 2011
Michigan Live | May 11, 2011
CBS Detroit | May 4, 2011
AnnArbor.com | May 2, 2011
Michigan Live | April 30, 2011
West Bloomfield Patch | April 21, 2011
CBS Detroit | April 14, 2011
HSJ | February 25, 2011
The Saline Reporter | June 28, 2010
The information contained herein is intended only as a reference to the subject matter covered and the contents herein are not to be relied on as legal advice or legal opinion. Please contact your legal advisor for any legal advice or legal opinions. Furthermore, the content and information on this page is copyrighted material to the extent such material is not an excerpt from the law itself. Any use or reproduction of such material is strictly prohibited without the expressly written approval of Parental Solutions LLC. If you are a member of the media and wish to discuss the content contained herein or otherwise on the Mobile Media Guard website, please feel free to contact us to schedule a call.